A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Strength in pulling through.

Today... I had encountered something I have never encountered before and had wished I never would. As I was about to clock out... after my 7 hour shift, a Vietnamese (I say this because it happens to be a lot of them doing it, and I am embarassed to declare myself as one now a days) lady, about 30 years of age, came in wanting a refund. The store policy: 22 days to return merchandise for store credit or exchange. No cash back refunds. It is clearly stated in writing on everyone's receipt and on our signs on our front cashier counters. The lady insisted on getting cash back. She said that she asked the cashier if there were refunds and our cashier said yes. It is true. There are refunds. I'm sorry it's not cash lady, but it is still considered a refund. The cashier for her came up and explained that she said there were refunds but no cash back. The lady then starts saying how she wants the manager out and before our manager came out, the line kept building up with more people. I was the only one cashiering as fast as I could, because that Vietnamese... let's call her psycho. That psycho kept standing at my coworker's register. Knowing me, I stand up to everyone and have people's backs. SO, I apologized to the psycho and explained to her that there is nothing that we can do about it because it is stated on our receipts in writing and on our signs. She said "Well, I didn't read the sign." OK that's YOUR bad, woman! Then I said I'm sorry if our cashier didn't tell you it was no cash back, but we were trained to tell you that... and if she told you refund, then there are, it's just for store credit. "I'm sorry, but there's really nothing we can do about it. Our store policy is in writing." ... YEAH. And guess what she does?! She points her finger at me with a pen and says: "WHAT IS YOUR NAME (IN HER NON-FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKING WITH A VIETNAMESE ACCENT VOICE) I'M TAKING YOU TO COURT!" WHAT THE FUCK is that right? I'm a MINOR, just trying to have a nice first job experience on 8.25 an hour! I don't need that disrespect from someone! And then she goes crazy on the manager saying you need to train your cashiers blah blah. And the manager apologizes and the psycho still goes crazy. Customers are coming up to me telling me to open more registers because the line is long, blah blah. Yes, twice I was demanded by customers to get another register open. (I couldn't though, because one girl was closing her register and it needs to be recounted to $100 by the next cashier to take over.) All I could do was keep apologizing and work as fast as I could and be as accurate as I could, while still greeting customers and telling them to have a nice day... UGH. And then my coworker at the psycho lady's spot was asking her to please step to the side because there are still so many people behind her. The psycho goes "NO YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME RIGHT NOW. BLAH BLAH..." And so all these customers are looking at the psycho, shaking their heads, customers telling me that lady is rude and should take it to the side where she's not disturbing everyone else, and stuff like "oh it's not even over a hundred bucks." WOW. I mean, literally, WOW. Is this the real world, because I have honestly been in a protected bubble then! Psycho kept asking for names to take us all to court. I MEAN IS THAT WHAT YOU DO? GO TO PLACES AND MAKE A SCENE AND TRY TO TAKE AS MANY PEOPLE TO COURT AS YOU CAN?! IS THAT WHERE YOU GET YOUR F-ING MONEY?! Sorry, but some people actually work hard for the money they EARN. So she wouldn't stop and I suggested we call security. AS I SAID WE'D CALL SECURITY AND MY MANAGER AGREED, she decided to take the store credit and calmed herself down and started to smile and leave. WHAT, THE, FUCK. I was already working way past my shift and was super angry and tired... my register became short $12. BS. But my manager assured me it was okay and thanked me for today... considering I went to UPS to do business for her. I had to calm myself down before driving home... my sister and brother in law then told me... "Welcome to the real business world. This is only the beginning." Considering they always deal with people like that in the bank... money... or the love of it sure does bring different sides out in people.

Please, I just want some peace on my first retail job experience.

I am not a people person... I just play it off well. This reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye. I think people are "phony". So many of them are a disappointment... I'm not saying all, I meet real nice people, know real geniune people... and yes I have my bad sides too... but I mean... is it really necessary for some people to do what they do... for their selfish needs and all? If I continue staying like this... I'm honestly scared to grow into an adult and work more serious jobs and all... Scared, honestly.

But then today... during all that... I remembered what I learned in church: "God does not give us challenges that we cannot overcome."

Also decided to post up these inspiring lyrics from Leann Rimes - What I Cannot Change. Yes people, I listen to this type of music.

I know what makes me comfortable
And I know what makes me tick
And I when I need to get my way
I know how to pour it on thick
Cream and sugar in my coffee
Right away when I awake
I face the day, and pray to God
I won’t make the same mistakes

[Chorus]
All the rest is out of my hands
I will learn to let go what I cannot change
I will learn to forgive what I cannot change
I will learn to love what I cannot change
But I will change, yeah I will change
Whatever I, whenever I can

Yeah I don’t know my father
Or my mother well enough
It seems like every time we talk
We can’t get past the little stuff
The pain is self-inflicted
I know it’s not good for my health
But it’s easier to please the world
Then it is to please myself

[Chorus]

Well I know I can’t care about how everyone else really feels
I have enough hurt of my own to heal

[Chorus]

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonny Boy Tran said...

tis only the beginning young one.

and you go to church? wtf happened to being a Buddhist?

July 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home